Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Connect With Us On LinkedIn Watch police videos on BluTube
Register
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jakedon

Thread: Interaction between LEO's and Armed Security or any Security Officers....

Interaction between LEO's and Armed Security or any Security Officers....

Is it common for LEO's to just dismiss private Security Officers as if to say to us, If we are not sworn police officers then were not worth their time. I personally am always respectful and polite to all LEO's I deal with when I do talk to them on the job, but I just find it unprofessional for them to act like any information we have to offer is nothing to them and we are wasting their time. Am I just dealing with a few bad apples or is this a common attitude from LEO's towards private security officers?

I think it varies by individual. Many peace officers got their start working in provate security (it paid for a lot of my college). After retiring, I supervised a good-sized proprietary security outfit and, frewuently, our interactions with local police was less than stellar. While the security officers aren't as well-trained as police, they do have some knlaws of arrest and dealing with common offenses.

What I had to explain - frequently - was that our company paid the largest amount of taxes in the entire city. Thus, the police actually work FOR us and, when we call for service, the police should be a professional and courteous as they would to any other citizen or resident. The security officer isn't "less than" any other person in a community or a substandard human being.

In training cops, I try to express how they should use contacts with security officers (as well as Joe Citizen) as an opportunity to teach, not criticize or humiliate.

Thanks eljefe that is kind of how I view it same as you, I myself being an Armed Private Officer I do not dare act like I am a sworn officer I know my limits and my skill-set and stay within them. I often ask them for information if they are willing to share about a specific location that we patrol for my safety it is nice to know the history they have had there with the residents but to just get shunned like I have no right to know what kind of criminal activity is occuring on my client's property just seems like bad policing/training.

I think it depends upon the individual security officer. Those who act professional are treated as professionals, those who act like wannabe Dick Tracy's are quickly dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike126 View Post
    I think it depends upon the individual security officer. Those who act professional are treated as professionals, those who act like wannabe Dick Tracy's are quickly dismissed.
    I fully agree and understand from that point of view Spike. Like I said before I just hoped this wasnt a common thing for us private security officers to be dismissed simply on the basis we are not actual LEO's.

Funny topic considering I just has a unique situation with a armed security guard last night. As we were about to enter a sporting event in a not so nice part of a big city, I took my off duty Glock out of my ankle holster and left it in my car. When I went inside and after seeing all the local not so friendlys hanging out, I was glad to see an armed security guard patting everyone down as they walked in. He first frisked my children then when he got to me got all excited when he felt my pocket knife. I told him I was sorry that I didn't know it wasn't allowed. The security guard told me it was a weapon and I needed to take it outside. Not trying to be a smart ass, I told him I was a sworn officer and I just took my sidearm off but forgot about the pocket knife. While he was still behind me, the guard grabbed me and said I shouldn't mention anything that has to do with guns around him as he doesnt joke around. Ididn't know how to take him and was thinking what would he have done if I still had my Glock in the ankle holster. Kinda set the mood for the night, I was somewhat pissed as he was still a jerk when I came back in without the knife.

"Back in the day": I had never worked any place where Private Security (armed or not) were employed.

2011-10-06 to 2012-04-27:
    - I was the Site Supervisor for a very large international security firm (unarmed, 18 personnel);
    - This was for a contract at a manufacturing plant (24 / 7 operation, ~ 450 production + administrative personnel, numerous entry points);
    - The site was just outside of a city (~ 200,000 population) that had its own City Police, so it was in the area of one of the Detachments of my old Force;
    - - We had almost no dealings with the City PS, and very few with my old Force;
    - - I knew what our role was, so there were never issues between us, City or the Force.
    - The biggest challenge was changing the attitude of the plant personnel (mostly production, but some administrative) towards my personnel;
    - - It was almost like a dysfunctional domestic relationship and (prior to my arrival) my personnel were the abused partner;
    - - - THAT changed, eventually.

My personnel DID catch two thieves in-the-act, turning same over to the Detachment, which was VERY GOOD. It would have been EXCELLENT, except we learned that the "clients" had been "hitting" us for 6 WEEKS and my personnel did NOT figure it out, despite contractors (NOT my personnel) reporting on SEVERAL occasions incursion points and related product thefts.

Regarding the original post, some LEO / PO may be unprofessional; even if they have had "run-ins" with unprofessional Private Security, the LEO / PO should STILL act professional towards everyone.

Where I work, there are a lot of gated communities with manned security posts, so I interact with them a lot. I agree that the "wanna be policemen" can sometimes be annoying. I treat each one that I meet with respect and address them by their appropriate rank or title as if I would a LEO. Security officers can be a great asset because often times they know their area much better than you. We all can be a bit territorial sometimes, but I think egos should be put aside and we should work together. Sharing resources makes everyone's job easier.
    kfox721 likes this.

I'll admit that LEO's generally refer to "rent-a-cops" among themselves as lower level enforcement officers. Not unusual. There are some Federal Police that stray off a government facility and city cops refer to them the same way. I was a rent-a-cop before I was a LEO in 3 cities. I was on patrol (meaning you had to race between clients to check their businesses) and got pulled over. The LEO's were nice. No citation. I always treated rent-a-cops the way I would want to be treated. I treated taxpayers pulled over for traffic even better. Most couldn't believe it. Now the PD is mostly clerks behind glass windows collecting money. I won't work like that is my goal and retired. Thor

As a security officer in a large city I must say I have always been treated with courtsey by local sworn LEOs. It is comforting to have them drop by for coffee as their presence is a deterant to nefferous indivudals. When they notice I carry an Ed Brown 1911 it usually leads to interesting conversation. I always try to learn from them whats going on in the surrounding area, helps me keep inside bad guys OODA loop.

I was a Correctional Officer full time and an Armed Security Officer part time before I became a Police Officer. Although I have only just started my career as a Police Officer I can say that I do not personally look down on security guards. Having worked in security however, I have had the misfortune of meeting some guards that were very "mallcoppish" if you get my meaning. I never came across a Police Officer that treated me poorly while I was a Security Guard though. In fact on more than one occasion I assisted Police Officers in restraining folks at the hospital I worked at. They were always very grateful and thanked me for my help.

Verified LEO
    I think, in the end, it comes down to how people come off. We all know there are some 'know it all' security guards, and some arrogant cops. Get them together, and nothing good will come of it.

That being said, I think every day interactions are probably more 'work together' than anything else.

Verified LEO
    As brought up numerous times already. Everything is going to depend on the individuals. I was in the Marines, weapons plt, then became a hand to hand combat instructore and eventually got out...my first civilian job was a "Rent a Cop". You never know the persons background no matter what kind of job they had prior but also security personnel should know where to help and how to help and same goes for an officer. Don't be so prideful that one can't ask for help. I ask for help when I need too. I work at an SO with an 8 person department, I patrol a very large area by myself. My closes back up is 15 minutes away at speeds over 100mph. So any help from the private sector or civilian side, especially with information I always take serious. Use your sources!

Banned
    There is sour apples in every profession. Simple as that. Give me respect, and I will give you respect back.