Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Connect With Us On LinkedIn Watch police videos on BluTube
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Flashlights

Flashlights

Hello all! I just recently started to apply for Law Enforcement positions throughout my state. I have come to the realization that my duty belt is severely "under staffed". What would you Law Enforcement Officers suggest that I buy for a flashlight? I'm having a tough time deciding on what to get, due to my lack of experience in the use of flashlights. :/

Lead P1 Forums Moderator TopSite's Avatar

Flashlights

If you are just applying, why do you need a flashlight? I suggest that if you get a position, then check with what will be your fellow officers and get advice from them as to what type of flashlight, and all other equipment, best serves their needs for the job.
    I had the honor of working with these fallen Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Agents
    Special Agent Ralph N. Shaw May 14,1976
    Special Agent Enrique S. Camarena March 5, 1985
    Special Agent Arthur L. Cash August 25, 1987
    Special Agent Meredith Thompson August 27, 1994
    Special Agent Donald C. Ware October 12, 2004

Flashlights

One has to wonder why someone who is only 'applying for' law enforcement positions is in need of a duty belt to begin with.
    Cuff 'em N Stuff 'em

Flashlights

Originally posted by: Spike126
    One has to wonder why someone who is only 'applying for' law enforcement positions is in need of a duty belt to begin with.
    My take, exactly. I'm always hinkey about the guys who are prowling the uniform shops and trying to get suited up too soon. Practically speaking, wannabe aside, how can you know you're getting the right gear? Some departments use brass, some nickel, some Velcro, some plain, some basketweave ... and most issue it all anyway ....

Your first questions here should be about actually getting a job and, trust me here, acting like a Squirrel isn't the best place to start.

Once hired, you'll be told what you'll need for the academy. Once in Field Training, let your FTOs give advice about extra personal items. Most of us have a garage full of crap that looked good at the time and quickly lost its luster when used in the field.

traumamama likes this.
    Skill and cunning is always better than luck ... Luck always seems to be against the man who depends on it.

Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot.

"When I was a boy I was told anyone can become President. I'm beginning to believe it." - Clarence Darrow

Flashlights

Originally posted by: Spike126
    Why is some who is "applying for" a Law Enforcement position in need of a duty belt to begin with? Well it is required for schooling. Here at FVTC, we do a lot of hand on training/learning. We run through a lot of scenarios such as, SFST's, E.V.O.C., Firearms training, D.A.A.T., E.D.P.'s, Excited Delirium scenarios and the list goes on. So, Spike126 Thank you for your lack of input regarding a flashlights. It's appreciated.....

Bob and eljefe241 I appreciate the input. I have certification testing that is approaching in May and that is why I need all of this gear. I'm concerned about the money and how much these items costs. I have a pretty accurate estimate and I'm fine with that price. As of right now I am not looking for the "Best of the Best" when it comes to duty belt gear. The duty belt was a requirement for school and so is the gear that comes with it. When I get hired, because I will, if the departments issues/tell me to get different gear the so be it, I will.

Back on topic, are there any brands that you gentlemen/women have experience with regarding flashlights that you would recommend to someone? Forget the fact that I'm not a certified LEO yet.

Flashlights

I am kinda partial to Streamlight. They have always served me well.

Flashlights

Had you offered the information about FVTC up front no one would be looking at you askance. Since you failed to do so it resulted in three veteran officers who years of collective experience exceed 100 to take the same perspective.

Having said that...good street cops do not limit themselves to any one flashlight. I kept a 4 cell Kel-light in the car, a Surefire mini in my top pocket and a rechargeable Streamlight on the belt. Better to have ample equipment when you need it, then need it and not have it. Thats why you carry extra ammo above and beyond what your belt can carry and the same with cuffs.
    Cuff 'em N Stuff 'em

Flashlights

Streamlight Ultra Stinger, Rechargeable. I have been using it since it was first introduced and it is hands down the best flashlight IMO. I also recommend a belt ring holder, it will give a place to put the flashlight when your hands are busy. It comes with a plug in charger for home/work, but I also purchased the car charger, which I keep in my bag.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=12

Flashlights

Originally posted by: 09mccoyb
    So, Spike126 Thank you for your lack of input regarding a flashlights. It's appreciated..... .
    Being snarky is rather childish; Spike has more time rolling Code 3 than most cops who post here have on the job ...

Your failure to adequately communicate your 'training' status is not our problem. Your problem will be going into the Job (assuming you make it past the academy or whatever it is you're doing) and taking that chip on the shoulder with you. A sergeant or FTO will have you for lunch ...

I'm not known for being subtle ... I, for one, won't offer anything further for you until there's some contriteness shown.

Skill and cunning is always better than luck ... Luck always seems to be against the man who depends on it.

Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot.

"When I was a boy I was told anyone can become President. I'm beginning to believe it." - Clarence Darrow

Flashlights

Awesome link, Top. I might switch flashlights now.

Flashlights

When I joined my police department 3 years ago, I too felt my belt was lacking a lot of things. I searched for awhile and picked the Streamlight Stinger DS LED HP Flashlight with an extra battery. This flashlight is so bright it will light up a house several blocks away, putting my issued light to shame. Plus, it has a great strobe feature that I use to get peoples attention, disorient them, etc. After seeing my flashlight, several other officers I know purchased one for themselves and also love them. The ONLY thing I don't like, but is necessary for it's brightness and focus, is how wide the "mouth" or head of the flashlight is. It tends to dig into your side if you don't have it positioned in the right place. Other than that, this is a great flashlight and I highly recommend it. Plus, it has two switches, one on the end cap (I don't use it that often) and one on the side in a normal position. (Also look into a airweight ASP with ceramic prong endcap for breaking glass, a double handcuff case and the S&W M&P Lever Lock handcuffs that you double lock with your finger instead of a key, which is great for people who are struggling.)

I would get something rechargable like a streamlight stinger. The new led technology is great. I like my surefire e2d but it eats through batteries like no other and they are expensive. My department also has a streamlight 20L or something...the big plastic one in the cars for us. They work fine as a primary but I like my back up too.

Verified LEO
    Personally I would wait. I was issued all of my equipment including a flashlight. Find out what they issue first, then if they do not provide one or it is not one you care for, then go buy your own after doing research.

Flashligt

Quote Originally Posted by TopSite View Post
    I have used a Streamlight SL20X (the metal one) for 22 years! Though I have had to replace the switch once, and the rubber switch cover twice, it is by far the most reliable light I have carried. Having the metal cylinder comes in handy for body strikes/defense, at night when you have your light in hand, and don't have time to switch to a baton. The ABS plastic streamlights just don't have the same effect on bad guys that a good metal impact weapon does! My back-up light is the Streamlight stinger, and I carry it on my belt. There have been many a time where I had to quickly run from my car, after suspecgts, and forgot to grab my large streamlight. Boy was I glad to have my back-up. Both lights come with an AC charger, and you can also purchase DC chargers for them.

Recently, I purchased the Teralux LED insert, upgrade for my SL20X. I found the 700 lumens, on Ebay for $50. This was the best and cheapest upgrade, to a great flashlight. The increase in visible light is incredible. Additionally, while the LED upgrade is said to not change the standard 1-hr battery life of the SL20X, I recently found I got approx. 1.5 hrs. of use with it.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Pete
    KCSO, Seattle

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by horvatps View Post
    I have used a Streamlight SL20X (the metal one) for 22 years! Though I have had to replace the switch once, and the rubber switch cover twice, it is by far the most reliable light I have carried. Having the metal cylinder comes in handy for body strikes/defense, at night when you have your light in hand, and don't have time to switch to a baton. The ABS plastic streamlights just don't have the same effect on bad guys that a good metal impact weapon does! My back-up light is the Streamlight stinger, and I carry it on my belt. There have been many a time where I had to quickly run from my car, after suspecgts, and forgot to grab my large streamlight. Boy was I glad to have my back-up. Both lights come with an AC charger, and you can also purchase DC chargers for them.

Recently, I purchased the Teralux LED insert, upgrade for my SL20X. I found the 700 lumens, on Ebay for $50. This was the best and cheapest upgrade, to a great flashlight. The increase in visible light is incredible. Additionally, while the LED upgrade is said to not change the standard 1-hr battery life of the SL20X, I recently found I got approx. 1.5 hrs. of use with it.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Pete
    KCSO, Seattle

Thanks for the info on the Teralux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast