Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Connect With Us On LinkedIn Watch police videos on BluTube

Patrol Packs / Grab Bags / Go Bags etc...

I don't know if there is a better place to put this under the Patrol Forum (waiting on my confirmation) but it has been a question that I need some input on. My agency recently procured military surplus backpacks, I believe they are called assault packs or 72hr packs, and passed them out to the patrol division. We were told they were to be used as a "Patrol Pack" so that if we had to leave our vehicle for some reason for an extended time we would have what we need for a typical 12 hr tour. We have take home cars so my thoughts were to just take a little of this and a little of that to put in the pack but I quickly realized storage space is at a premium and not being in my own car could result in situations where I was not as mobile to get to resources that normally I would just drive to (Food/water/etc). I developed a list and am looking for input from other officer who may have a similar pack. I am still working on getting some of the items.

List:
    Patrol Pack

Food (2 MREs or box of granola bars, jerky, and ?dried fruit?)
    Water (Camel back AND refillable bottle)
    Towel
    Ammo Pistol/Rifle/shotgun
    Notebook (legal Pad)
    Pens/Markers
    Hand sanitizer
    first aid kit and pouch (See Below)
    Backup Radio/Battery
    Flashlight
    Change of Clothes (T Shirt and BDU pants)
    Solar Cell Charger
    Map of City and County
    Trash Bags
    Duct Tape
    Paracord

first aid Kit
    pen light
    Medical tape
    4 - 3"x3" Gauze Pads
    Assorted small bandages(band aids)
    Triple Antibiotic 1 oz
    Saline - For wound flushing/eye flushing
    Bottle Ibuprofen/Acetaminophen
    Bottle of Benadryl
    Two pairs of gloves.
    Burn ointment
    tweezers
    small durable scissors
    Tourniquet
    Blood Absorbing Pressure Bandage
    2- 4x4 Hemostat Gauze Packs
    6- 4x4 12ply Sterile Gauze Pads
    5X9 Trauma Dressing
    1 - pack dust mask
    1-box alcohol pads
    2-8x10 absorbent pads
    superglue

GOOD LIST......I also kept spare magazines, (not just ammo) spare handcuffs, and a number of flex-cuffs as well as a flex cuff cutter in my go-bag just in case.
    Cuff 'em N Stuff 'em

It looks like you are on the right track to me. Since space is limited it's important to prioritize the contents. I use a much smaller "go bag" so my priorities are several spare mags for rifle and sidearm, protein bars, water, spare flashlight, baby wipes. I'm a rural deputy and consider my patrol vehicle the "Alamo" so I have everything imaginable in there. If I get to a scene and decide I need something else, I can always add it at that time.
    One of Texas' Finest
    Narcotics Agent Patrick Allen Randel
    Texas Department of Public Safety-Texas Highway Patrol
    EOW: October 23, 1974
    Cause: Gunfire

There's an old 1964 film called "Doctor Strangelove or How I stopped worrying and learned to love the Bomb' (Peter Sellers). As an Air Force B52 crew is headed into Russia for a nuclear attack, the pilot [Major T.J. 'King' Kong] reads off the survival kit contents:

"In it you'll find: One ,45 caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills,; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings ... Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Las Vegas with all that stuff ..."

Given the fast-moving developments in Ukraine and Crimea - and our esteemed leader's hollow threats about lines in the sand - this seems still very timely.
    Skill and cunning is always better than luck ... Luck always seems to be against the man who depends on it.

Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot.

"I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter I want him to quit in practice, not in a game." - Coach Bear Bryant / Alabama