Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Connect With Us On LinkedIn Watch police videos on BluTube
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eljefe241

Thread: I am interested in a Law Enforcement career...

Question I am interested in a Law Enforcement career...

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and hopefully respond to my question.

Like the title states I am interested in a Law Enforcement career, priority being a LEO. My plan is to put myself through a basic academy and then continue from there. Now, before I pursue my initial plan I have been perusing these forums. I have taken in as much information as possible and have witness many aspiring LEO's downfall due to past history/background checks.

So before I move on any further with this endeavor I wanted to get this out of the way to see if I should pursue or look for a different outlet. P1 has very knowledgeable and experienced posters and I feel that this would be the very first step I would take in pursuing my career. Once again thank you and I look forward to any replies.

A little bit about myself, I am a 26 y/o Latino male, graduated HS and enlisted in the USAF as an Emergency Medic.

Background

Pros (What I believe would be considered)
    -6 year Military Vet; Honorable Discharge
    -College Student
    -No arrest
    -No run-ins with Law Enforcement
    -No Speeding/Parking Citations
    -Clean history since joining military
    -Clean driving record

Limbo (Do not know if considered Good or Bad)
    -Credit score in the 700s (I found out that I was sent to collections in 2011 for a couple of pennies, I have then paid off the bill)
    -50% service connected disability rating due to knee pain and back pain.

Cons
    -Marijuana use a total of "1" time when I was 17 years old.
    -Consumed alcohol underage, Driven intoxicated "1" time 17 years old.
    -Committed theft 14 years old.
    -Vandalism (Graffiti) 16 years old.
    -Job dismissal (Ice cream parlor) 16 years old.
    -Illegal downloading/streaming

Not sure if applicable
    -Bio. Mother filed bankruptcy
    -2 Half-Brothers 1 Half-sister involved/history of Gang affiliation; time served (I do not know them personally though)

This is a quick rundown of my background, Please if anything causes a red flag if you can kindly point it out I would appreciate it. Thank you and I hope I can continue to follow my goal on becoming a LEO.
    Last edited by chapin002; 02-28-2013 at 11:52 PM.

The 'Pros' all look good; they always do. Most of your 'Cons' are hard to determine, as a lot might hinge on how the BGI views each one or all together. The family's behavior isn't a big deal, especially if you have little or no contacts.

The Big Flag to me is the 50% disability for knee and back issues. Only the agency can tell you if this might be a DQ, although I often see applicants turned down because of liability. Talk to a recruiter directly and take your service record/eval with you.

As to college, please don't major in CJ [see other posts here about why] "just in case" ... Unless you can manage to pay your way for 18 to 22 weeks without using credit/loans, you might rethink placing yourself through an academy. Graduating an academy, as with a CJ degree, will NOT assure you'll be hired.
    chapin002 likes this.

Ty for the response Eljefe. I will get in contact with the recruiters office and ask the questions. I don't plan on majoring in CJ thanks to the advice I have read on these boards. I was planning on using my GIbill for the academy.

ElJefe makes some excellent points. Your background is a little of a hurdle, but not one that is insurmountable. The disability fight will be the toughest to win liability wise. I also recommend speaking with several recruiters to find a department that will work with you. Don't narrow your search to one city, county or even state. You may have to move out of state. Many states do not have private academies, and will pay you while you attend their academies, leaving your G.I. bill for regular college. Good Luck!

On a side note, congratulations for being able to write a complete sentence and format a post properly...not something we see a lot of anymore. Keep up on your grammar and spelling skills as they are priceless in our line of work.

One of the only thing that would concern me is in the Con section. You posted that you had been in trouble for Illegal downloading/streaming. As an investigator that deals in a lot of sex related crimes, this does concern me. However, the fact that you have been given a 50% disability does not bother me as much. I have learned that the percentage the military gives is somewhat diffrent than what a civilian doctor would. Good luck in pursuing your career.

I had an officer working for me that received 80% disability. Whether or not you can pass the agility test is a factor more so than the rating. Not all agencies are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by splube View Post
    I had an officer working for me that received 80% disability. Whether or not you can pass the agility test is a factor more so than the rating. Not all agencies are the same.
    The biggest issue is getting past the doctor's evaluation. I can say the back & knees are serious concerns because, once hired, the department may be liable for future compensation if you get injured on the job. Ask yourself this: If my knee or back fails me in a fight or foot chase, will I be placing my partners and the public in danger? If the answer is "maybe" or "yes", perhaps another path is best. There's many non-sworn roles in LE that don't require working the bricks.

The officer in question had a back injury from his tour in Iraq. He had to wear a stimulator. Different states, different agencies, different standards.

Quote Originally Posted by splube View Post
    The officer in question had a back injury from his tour in Iraq. He had to wear a stimulator. Different states, different agencies, different standards.
    Totally agree. It's going to be based on many factors and, based on the information provided here, we can't call it. Likely the most important factor is the exact nature of the injuries and the prognosis. The only one that can address it is the hiring agency and, perhaps, the applicable state POST standards.

As we all say, 'Do your homework.' My caution is not to be confident you'll be hired simply because of a degree, experience, clean record, or passion for the job. There's many things that can - and do - DQ applicants along the path ... Don't go through all the processes only to dscover something - like a disability pension - is the thing that turns you away.