Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Connect With Us On LinkedIn Watch police videos on BluTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Do you still carry a shield/retirement shield?

Verified LEO

Do you still carry a shield/retirement shield?

Most of the retired officers from my job do as far as I know. It could come in handy, but it could also get you killed if you're on the wrong end of a robbery.

With an open mind I tried to weigh the pros and cons of carrying the badge I gave so much a part of my life to earn and cannot see any good reason to leave it at home.

As far as being on the wrong end of a robbery, as you stated....sure it MIGHT end badly.......but I'd hope after I threw my wallet on the ground and the bad guy retrieved it and discovered my badge, I would have my weapon out and end his question on what it is. Hopefully.
    dillon44 likes this.
    If you see anybody I know, give them a hug!

I proudly carry my retirement shield and ID card every day. I also never leave home without my American Express Card....others refer to it as a Glock.

Absolutely agree with Spike 126. Been retired 11 years. My department gave me a brand new, personalized badge when I retired. I qualify at the range every 3 months (and shoot more often than that). I never leave home without my ""AMEX card"" either.

I carry my Retired LEO credentials and sometimes the retired LEO badge in a separate little wallet. I always carry my "AMEX" whenever possible, as well. This way I have most of my civilian IDs and paperwork, cards, etc., in a bigger "civilian" wallet, that I use for everyday stuff. The "civilian" wallet decoys the potential robber (hopefully), maybe long enough to introduce him to "Retired Officer Werewolf with Rabies". No reflection on my Honorable Werewolf Brother LEO earlier in this thread. ALIENCOP

Verified LEO
    IMO creds should always be carried separately from the wallet with the DL and money, credit cards, etc. There should be no difference between retired and still on the job; if you're carrying creds, you carry the other tools of the trade (gun, ammo, light, restraints). If you're in a position to not be able to carry a weapon while retired (aircraft, for example), then the creds should be concealed in a way that the bad guys won't find it if they shake you down.

I always carry my ID and badge....I earned it.
    dillon44 likes this.

Canadian law authorized me to carry / acquire / seize / use any type of weapon I was issued / had to deal with during my service, but does NOT allow me to do so without obtaining a licence for whatever type of firearm that I would want and only under very restricted circumstances, and NOT every-day-carry without EXTREMELY rare written authorization, NONE of which I have, nor feel I need (again, its WAY different up here, ladies and gents!)

I was allowed to retain my badge, but only after turning same in and the Force encasing it in an acrylic block (gratis, however!), making it impossible to EDC. However, I was also issued a retired ID card, which also grants me authority to wear my dress uniform on state and formal occasions (parades, dinners), that I do EDC in my wallet amongst my other ID and transaction cards (debit, credit, loyalty).

I am also a member of the RCMP Veterans Association, which works with the Force to help support it in many ways (historical preservation, ancillary program fund raising, support of veterans-in-need, public relations).
    1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29 - RCMP RM 32936. Since - numerous jobs and situations. PM box full - e-mail me: petebroccolo@gmail.com.

Sometimes.

My badge and identity card is stamped 'Retired', I still carry it out of habit but rarely produce it.

Verified LEO
    If you carry your weapon it's imperative you also carry your police I.D. under L.E.O.S.A. unless you opt for a regular concealed carry permit.
    I prefer to carry under the former, it gives greater latitude, especially in States that are more strict or do not recognize your States carry permit.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by dillon44 View Post
    If you carry your weapon it's imperative you also carry your police I.D. under L.E.O.S.A. unless you opt for a regular concealed carry permit.
    I prefer to carry under the former, it gives greater latitude, especially in States that are more strict or do not recognize your States carry permit.
    LEOSA requires you to carry id, but not a shield.

"the individual must carry either:

photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer and indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training as established by the agency to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer; and a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or if the State has not established such standards, standards set by any law enforcement agency within that State to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm."

Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I carry the shield and ID each and everyday. No if, ands or buts about it. I carry my 'American Express' as noted above the same way.

On a side note: "Werewolf with Rabies"....I don't care who you are...that's funny stuff right there!!
    All COPS are Police Officers, but not all Police Officers are COPS.

Verified LEO
    Last edited by Werewolf; 07-10-2014 at 05:58 PM.

To Peter Broccollo: That sucks, after serving so many years you should be allowed to carry as long as you can qualify. I have a LEOSA permit. I carry always, in a Bianchi fanny pack with secret holster (no longer made) so I treat it carefully. I carry cuffs, badge, flashlight, extra loaded mags, a S&W CS45, and a Gerber tactical pen. I am going to get a Pepper Blaster for those times when a non-lethal response is warranted.
    Last edited by KSDeputy; 11-09-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast