Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Connect With Us On LinkedIn Watch police videos on BluTube

Mixing Cardio and Weights

Im working on a weekly cardio routine to build toward a 5K and wanted to get opinion if it's okay to use weight machines afterwards? I remember hearing that it is not worth using weights afterwards, because cardio routines will eat muscle. Would it be best to do 5 days cardio and 2 days weights?

I lift every other day. I begin lift day with a quick 5 minutes of cardio to get warmed up and finish off lift day with 20 minutes of cardio. On non-lift days I do 60 minutes of cardio and when cardio day falls on a Sunday the bride and I do a 5K together at a moderate pace. Our 5 K course is quite hilly as its at the local reservoir and the entire course is on pavement that includes a marked bike lane for those who wish to ride for cardio instead of run.

I have seen zero muscle depletion doing this. BUT I also ensure that I take in a sufficient amount of protein to prevent my body from going into a catabolic state during sleep. The way I do this is I drink whey protein in skim milk before I lift and whey protein along with casein protein in skim milk after I lift. Whey is a fast absorption and casein is slow absorption. Just before going to sleep I drink casein in skim milk. Casein once in the stomach turns to a gel which fools your body and stokes your internal furnace, keeping it going while you sleep. This in turn prevents your body from going into a catabloic (or muscle eating) state and keeps it in an anabolic state.

I am by no means a body builder by the way. I use the protein to augment my regular diet that features 6 small meals spread out through the day and around 80-100 ounces of water a day. I dropped my weight from 265 to 218 doing it this way.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
    Cuff 'em N Stuff 'em

Spike, mind if I tap your brain for more info on the diet you have? I'm wanting to get back into better shape, although the beer I'm currently drinking isn't going to help.

This Casein protein, I'm assuming is available OTC? I've never heard of it. Yes, I'm googling it as soon as I finish typing this, lol. Thanks ahead of time for information!

Check out Crossfit.com. It's the program I use. Every workout is concise, no-nonsense, and will kick your ass. It combines cardio, olympic style lifts, gymnastics, and every other form of exercise you can imagine.

After retiring, I went on an excerise plan that involves pushing my luck, jumping to conclusions and yanking people's chains ...
    Skill and cunning is always better than luck ... Luck always seems to be against the man who depends on it.

Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot.

"I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter I want him to quit in practice, not in a game." - Coach Bear Bryant / Alabama

Mrray....you can get whey protein and casein protein from any GNC, Vitamin Shoppe or whatever local stores you have in your area. Casein, I use Gold Standard label, and Whey, I use Cytosport Muscle Milk. I cant stand any flavor other than vanilla creme and although they say you can mix it with 'your favorite liquid' it tastes like crap to me unless I mix it with skim milk.

The diet is quite simple. You take your day ( and you have to start early) and break it down into 3 hour segments or so. So for instance at 6AM I drink whey protein and have 1 cup of Honey Nut Cheerios in skim milk and half a banana. At 9am I have the 2nd half of the banana and a yogurt. At 12 I will have a salad with no dressing, add sliced almonds and dried cranberries to it, and around 3 ounces of grilled chicken or steak. At 3PM I will have 3 rice cakes with a total of 2 tablespoons of peanut butter spread over the 3 evenly. At 6PM I have my evening meal with includes a salad, fresh veggies and no more than 4 oz of chicken, fish, or steak. AT 9pm I may have a yogurt or a few fresh veggies and then I drink my casein protein before retiring between 930PM-1000PM.

I also take a multi-vitamin with breakfast and at my evening meal. You supplement all of this with drinking between 80-100oz of water each day. To avoid the blandness of the water I will add in Crystal Light On-the-Go packets to the water. The Crystal Light only adds 5 calories total to the water so if I put one in every water fill-up I'm adding in around 30-35 calories total for the day. You can add in fresh fruit and veggies whenever or wherever you want because the calories are minimal. I also measure everything using guidelines such as 1 cup is about the size of a baseball, 3-4 oz is about the size of a deck of playing cards etc. I take in around 1500-1700 calories a day doing this and will burn off over a 1000 with my workouts alone. Once I got to my goal weight I increased the calories to between 1800-2000 but still maintained the weight loss.

By spreading small meals out throughout the day it forces your body's internal 'furnace' to constantly stay stoked to burn the fuel you are giving it. As opposed to eating 2 or 3 times a day and going on empty at several junctures which instead of burning fat your body will burn muscle which is not what you want to accomplish. Same idea with the casein before bed. The gel keeps your furnace stoked all night until you refuel at breakfast rather than going to bed with an empty stomach and having no 'fuel' to burn.

Like I said I lift every other day and do cardio on the non-lift days but its an unbroken cycle so one week you get 4 lift days and the following week only 3...i.e. SU,TU,TH,SA lift M,W,F cardio then SU,TU,TH,SA cardio with M,W,F lift. Not only did I lose all that weight but my BP is now 100/60 and I'm 57. My 18 yr old son who plays D-1 soccer had his BP taken pre-season and his was 108/66. The benefits are there but you have to be willing to sacrifice to make gains and once there learn to maintain.
    Cuff 'em N Stuff 'em

Doing cardio exercises is more better for the weight loss rather than doing the gym workout.
    First do cardio such as jogging, running, swimming, and cycling to lose your excessive body weight, when you have lost your extra weight then you should join the gym to build your muscles and get your body in a shape.

Maitland Fitness
    Last edited by maxwell008; 11-02-2013 at 03:40 PM.